Just a few ideas.

I have a large amount of ideas but here are just a few of them.

1. Square patrol areas for archers and knights.
So, my reasoning behind this suggestion is very simply that when using archers, the majority of the time they are placed atop a tower. By creating a square patrol area, it would allow archers to not only return to an opportune location after being knocked down, but also to move around to aim from a better angle. A similar idea could be implemented for knights allowing them to guard the inside of a building or gateway effectively.

2. Upgrades to buildings and bricktrons.
The main idea around this is simply that in the harder rounds, many people will simply build hurdles in order to slow the corruptrons, exploiting the AI and limiting the tense battles to nothing more than a firing range. I would like to suggest things such as elemental cauldrons. A 2x2 structure that allows both knights and archers to gain special powers for a brief amount of time. For example, a knight would dip his sword in a fire cauldron which would result in their blows doing lingering damage over time, or an archer firing one arrow that causes a fire tornado, that does lingering damage to enemies within a certain radius but is only used once. For more of an explanation message me directly. As for buildings, wood could be used to strengthen blocks and increase their hitpoints at an added cost of wood.

3. New structures such as windows.
In sandbox, this would very simply be used for aesthetic appeal. However in survival or conquest, these could be used to help defend archers as you could close the windows when archers are taking too much damage or open them to surprise a conquest enemy.

These are just a few ideas and I would love to hear what you think. If you have any queries about any of what is on the list. I will be happy to answer any questions.

Comments

• ShatojonShatojon Administrator Developer Backer Wiki Editor
    Thank you for all these awesome suggestions! :) I particularly like the square patrols one, seems obvious but it would definitely be useful. I'll share that with the team. :)
  • That would be awesome!
  • Just the thread I was looking for!

While we're talking about troop movement;

Why not let us make archers take defensive positions in one specific spot without using the patrol function? I'm so tired of having to micromanage my archers constantly when they get knocked of perching spots. I almost feel like a competitive Starcraft player at times. Micromanaging the archers when you hit waves above 50 in Invasion mode is also not cool at all. Since personally, my FPS on medium maps starts dropping below the 30s and well into single digits at times during a wave.

Also don't know how feasible it would be, but would it be possible to let us move our troops in formation? You know stuff like the phalanx formation, arrowhead formation? Or heck, even the TESTUDO ! Although the testudo I don't think would be easy to implement without doing some SERIOUS balancing tweaks.
  • Just the thread I was looking for!

While we're talking about troop movement;

Why not let us make archers take defensive positions in one specific spot without using the patrol function? I'm so tired of having to micromanage my archers constantly when they get knocked of perching spots. I almost feel like a competitive Starcraft player at times. Micromanaging the archers when you hit waves above 50 in Invasion mode is also not cool at all. Since personally, my FPS on medium maps starts dropping below the 30s and well into single digits at times during a wave.

Also don't know how feasible it would be, but would it be possible to let us move our troops in formation? You know stuff like the phalanx formation, arrowhead formation? Or heck, even the TESTUDO ! Although the testudo I don't think would be easy to implement without doing some SERIOUS balancing tweaks.

I've just thought of an awesome addition, it'd be really cool if, at least for conquest, there was a function that allowed you to create a delayed movement.

What I mean by this is, you click on some units and much like how you click on attack move, you click a setting called delayed move. After doing this, the unit does not move. Instead you have to press a specific button to move the unit, for example 'M'. This would allow you to set up multiple unit movements at once without any of the units moving until you want them to, which would create a very strategic planning process.

For example, you could create a pincer movement by hiding small squadrons of archers into position alongside the top of a canyon that the enemy has to traverse through. By placing a delayed movement alongside the top of the canyon, you can prepare to move your archers into position. You could then send your own warriors through the canyon to delay the enemy warriors, press 'M' and suddenly, two squadrons of archers approach the canyon top and begin firing down on the warriors, thanks to a delayed movement.

Whilst this would be complicated to implement, the amount of strategic value this would add to the PvP game would incredible.

Who knows, maybe we even see a Castle Story E-Sport for the more competitive players.
  • CastleBuilderCastleBuilder Member
    edited December 2016
    I would have been onboard for delayed unit movement before the most recent update to be honest. The health pools this time around are just too big for strategy that deep, and the collision detection model kind of screws with that in some of the more open spaces. In the previous one that would have been awesome though, I would personally pincer people in one of the cliff overpasses and then have archers pick everyone off at a distance.
  • SirDingaSirDinga Member
    edited December 2016
    Yea, that is a shame, but perhaps we can still see new additions that promote strategy.

Incidentally, I was considering hosting a tournament on Castle Story, conquest mode, if you'd like to participate?
  • I don't think my piss poor 1mb/s connection would be able to handle a game as intensive as Castle Story to be honest. :neutral:
  • That's a shame but it's all in good fun, you know where to go of you change your mind.
    edited December 2016
    While we're still on the topic of troop movement and general movement...

Why not let us build custom patrol routes like in 4x RTS similar to Empire Earth 1&2 ? In those all you had to do was to start the patrol task, then hold shift to customize the patrol route with a clear ending and beginning flag. Having custom paths our regular Bricktrons can take to places would also be welcomed via holding shift/any other key then clicking away. Not that the pathfinding AI sucks or anything for normal use, but when there's a battle going on I find them steering themselves into armed combat one too many times.

Also why not let us create control groups as well? We already have task groups, so now the next logical step would be control groups. Sometimes when I'm busy defending a part of my fortress I have to split up my troops in half. Having control groups would allow me to just have my troops already split in half to defend both sides of my fortresses being raided, all accessible via a number "hot key".

This might be asking alot, but it's also worth a shot. Why not have us put different firing modes on our armed units as well? EE2, EE1, WW3 Black Gold, and many other 4x and non-4x RTS have this feature. And to be honest it's useful when you send a unit to scout an area.

Also I'd like to add a new twist to this, why not add a function that allows us to tell our armed units to run away from or hold fire towards SPECIFIC units encountered? I can't tell you how many Bricktrons I've lost to them attempting to Kamikaze a big Curroptron unit by themselves without backup. Nor how many defensive positions I've had destroyed due to my Bricktrons concentrating their fire on the small units instead of the giant clobbering away at their health bar.
  • I feel like, whilst all of our combined ideas would be beneficial to the game, that perhaps it may take a lengthy amount of time for any of this to be implemented if it is in fact going to be implemented.

All of your troop movement ideas are brilliant though and I would like to see them implemented.
    edited December 2016
    Eh, I have no hopes for a great majority of these ideas being implemented to be honest. Most RTS players hate slow and methodical gameplay, they just care about the apm and hkpm meta.
  • Well, maybe Castle Story can change that? Who knows, 2017 is full of mystery right now so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
  • Well I wouldn't be here if I thought there wasn't a small glimmer of hope ;^) to be honest.
  • Well, who knows, maybe the missing community will develop in this game and we can have these be developed as mods.