Pathfinding Look and Feel

Is there any reason at all to have the pathfinding for minions be this, for lack of a better word, unorthodox? If you have ten workers standing close together and order them to another position far away, the fashion in which they move there is relatively curious. Instead of doing what all games do, that is to say run normal pathfinding that gives them a route there they not only run around in 90 degree angles but also bump into each other. As a result they take twice as long to get there, not to mention the fact that it doesn't look well. Since the game is at heart time sensitive, this issue also affects the gameplay negatively.

This voxel based way of navigation also impacts performance negatively. In any other RTS game you can order 100 to 200 units around with no problem at all on even the worst PC, but this game gets unplayable if you have even 50 enemies desperately trying to navigate around.

Now, seeing as Unity offers a convenient, working and performant Pathfinding solution already (that doesn't involve clumsily going from Voxel to Voxel), could you explain the reasoning behind having them move around in the way they do? It doesn't seem to offer any visible benefits.

Comments

• Hey dxdydxdy,

The problem is that the terrain can change, it's not static like in other game.
    So every time you move a unit it has to be calculated again.
    Furthermore the terrain is really big, playing on Big Island on my own, and it is also 3D, so it's not just checking for the x and y-axis but has to consider the z-axis as well.

But I do experience something else right now, Bricktons getting the resources from the stockpiles which are the furthest away.

Anyway, it would be nice if we could determine highways, so if i got a staircase for example the left side woulld be for goinbg down and the right side for going up.
  • B4ll3ntin3sB4ll3ntin3s Member
    edited April 2016
    Another thing....
    Would be great if Bricktons could communicate with one and another.
    By telling each other on which blueprint they plan to place and what they are carrying.

Sometimes when there is only one wood blueprint to place, 6 Bricktons do grab the wood from the stockpile and are willing to place the same blueprint.

Maybe Stone should be prioritized over wood.
    And the woodlogs ver beams.

And Bricktons still try to place the beams they can not reach...
  • Hey dxdydxdy,

The problem is that the terrain can change, it's not static like in other game.
    So every time you move a unit it has to be calculated again.
    Furthermore the terrain is really big, playing on Big Island on my own, and it is also 3D, so it's not just checking for the x and y-axis but has to consider the z-axis as well.

But I do experience something else right now, Bricktons getting the resources from the stockpiles which are the furthest away.

Anyway, it would be nice if we could determine highways, so if i got a staircase for example the left side woulld be for goinbg down and the right side for going up.

Another thing....
    By telling each other on which blueprint they plan to place and what they are carrying.

Sometimes when there is only one wood blueprint to place, 6 Bricktons do grab the wood from the stockpile and are willing to place the same blueprint.

Maybe Stone should be prioritized over wood.
    And the woodlogs ver beams.

And Bricktons still try to place the beams they can not reach...

Just quoting to ask Ben if you plan on fixing these things / implement them.
  • Another thing....

Good point! I'm just not sure if it's that simple to manage. Ben told me that the Bricktrons don't see a difference between all the bricks they are placing. So, a brick is a brick is a brick even when it's a log,heh.

My guess is that the same thing applies for the blueprints. Also there seems to be a sort of communication already, otherwise the Bricktrons wouldn't say things like " The others are doing fine!" Most probably Sauropod just has to fine-tune this part of the game. *hint,hint* :wink:

As for the pathfinding, what @dxdydxdy is experiencing only(?) happens when the player himself/herself is sending a large group of Bricktrons to somewhere on the map. The problem I see is that the Bricktrons start running at the same time looking for the shortest way and thus of course behave in that fashion. They are not walking the shortest way one after another.

But the pathfinding as it is right now is quite new and not as simple as it is in other RTS stylish games. I was watching Sauropod's streams regarding the pathfinding and it really isn't easy to understand nor was it easy for the devs to implement it.

Part 1
    Part 2

I for one would be really interested in what the devs have to say about our experiences and also about the work which still has to be done on this mechanic.